Teacher – Student Mentoring Programme for 6th Year Students
Aim of the programme:
- To provide support, guidance and practical advice to 6th year students on how to reach their potential in the Leaving Certificate examinations.
- To motivate and encourage students to take greater responsibility for their academic outcomes.
- To encourage students to become more self directed in their learning.
To identify and address areas that could become a source of stress for students during the academic year.
How the programme works:
- Teachers volunteer to take responsibility for 2 – 4 students in 6th year.
- Teachers, in their own time, meet with students once per school term.
- Each student is helped to develop an individual study plan.
- Teachers help students evaluate their goals in relation to the Leaving Certificate.
- Teachers discuss topics such as study techniques, stress management and self care with their students.
- Students are provided with a booklet which covers a range of topics from how to study to time management.
- Mentors liaise with subject teachers / Guidance counsellors if a concern arises.
- Teachers act as a listening ear and helping hand in an effort to reinforce the important skills of managing myself, managing information and learning, staying connected and keeping well during this important time.